Image Map

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Review: What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera


Synopsis

Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.

Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.

But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?

Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.

Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.

But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?

What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?

What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?

But what if it is?


Review

A cutesy gay contemporary novel? Set in New York? I am all up for it, or so I thought before I got my hands on this book. When I first saw it at the store and got it, and then found out it was the sensation everywhere online, I was excited and I put my expectations very high. After all, Adam Silvera, author of They Both Die At The End is a co-author right? 

The story follows both perspectives, from Ben and Arthur, during their summer in the city of New York. I personally didn't enjoy reading from Arthur's point of view. I thought mostly that his opinions were a bit childish in some regards and in some points of the story. In my opinion, he was being overly dramatic, way too often about simple things. However, I did enjoy the stalking period that he had in regards to finding Ben. If there is something I like during a love story, is the low-key stalking period. Another thing I wasn't a fan of, in regards to Arthur, was how he treated his friends, and how he made it seem like the world revolved around him all the time. It got annoying a little bit too fast, and in my opinion, this is a quality he didn't redeem himself in. 

Ben, on the other hand, was adorable and I loved reading from his perspective. I didn't always agree with his choices and some stuff he did, or say, but who can blame him when your love-interest is fated to be annoying -Arthur? I loved especially the relationship between him and his best friend the most. I felt so identified by it since it is the same type of friendship I have with my own best friend and it's the most adorable part in my opinion about this book. 

The plot felt a bit flat to me. I dont know what I was expecting but I expected a bit more. Besides, I think this can pretty much be categorized as 'insta-love' which I am definitely not a fan of. 
Can you tell I didn't like the development of the love story?  
In other words, I feel like I was lacking more external conflicts int he plot in order to gain more insights into the characters internal conflict and spark a change in them. I feel as if the characters ended the story just as they started it.. the same. 

I gave this book ★★ stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment